Prepare to Sew
Let’s sew up Goldie! In this sewalong, you’ll see each step from the instructions in action and get some extra tips to help you sew. Tip: keep the instructions nearby while you watch!
This pattern is rated Advanced Beginner, but adventurous beginners are welcome! We assume that you’re not an absolute beginner and you have some experience cutting out fabric and using your machine and tools. If you need extra help along the way, click the “Links” tab below the video player or hop onto the Community to post a question.
You’re going to learn:
- 3 common fit adjustments for this pattern
- How to sew the sweetheart neckline
- How to sew the slightly gathered sleeves
You’re NOT going to learn how to:
- Cut out and mark your fabric
- Use basic sewing tools and supplies
If you need additional help with the skills required for this class, click the “Links” tab below the video player for a helpful list of tutorials.
- All seam allowances are 3/8” for knits unless otherwise stated.
- Stitch settings can vary from machine to machine, so we recommend testing on scraps. Use a notebook to capture what stitch length and width work best with your chosen fabric.
- We show finishing seams with a serger because it’s the quickest method while filming. If you don’t have a serger, a zigzag stitch works just as well!
Fabric and Fit
Fabrics to shop: Sew Goldie in medium-weight knit fabrics with 4-way stretch and at least 50% stretch, like cotton jersey, bamboo jersey, and ITY knits.
Fabrics to avoid: Avoid sheer knits or sweater knits with an open weave, as they might not support the elastic at the front.
Fit: This T-shirt is fitted, so double-check the ease. You can also compare the finished garment measurement chart to a T-shirt you already own that has similar stretch.
Here’s what you’ll need for this project:
- Goldie pattern
- All-purpose polyester sewing thread
- 1/8 yard (.1 meters) 1/4” (.6 cm) elastic
- Ballpoint sewing machine needle
- Ballpoint twin needle (optional)
- knit stay tape or tricot interfacing