Position: UI/UX Designer (contract, part-time)
We’re seeking a talented and experienced freelance UI/UX Designer to create clear, useful, and satisfying digital experiences for our members. Designs will include a broad range of interactions, from data-rich visual dashboards to an online community to enticing landing pages.
This is a long-term part-time contract role for the right person, estimated at 10-20 hours per week.
Who we are
We're Seamwork, and our mission is bringing empowerment through creativity. We believe that sewing your own clothing is transformative. It gives you new perspectives on yourself, your body, and the culture you live in.
At Seamwork, we help inspire this creativity through sewing patterns, classes, and community. We're a small team with big values. We believe in growth, compassion, and creative practice. We serve a community of enthusiastic, passionate sewers.
We have a unique, close-knit team built on trust. We respect the need to create balance in life, and offer flexibility and support. Our low-drama environment emphasizes collaboration and transparency.
Everyone is welcome on our team. We strive to create an inclusive place to work where everyone feels comfortable. We honor diversity, and are working to create a strong, equitable workplace. You can learn more about our culture here.
We're looking for a UI/UX Designer to work alongside our Product Manager and Web Developer to research, design, and create great digital experiences.
- Create thoughtful interaction: Develop ideas from research findings, create storyboards and wireframes, and clearly communicate design concepts and reasoning to the team.
- Design beautiful, useful experiences: Create high-fidelity designs and communicate the internded experience to the developer.
- Evaluate and improve design: Coordinate research and testing with our Product Manager, and iterate based on customer response and analytics data.
This is an ongoing, long-term contract role. In the first 3-6 months with us, your mission is to:
- Redesign the front page of our website. Create new design iterations for testing and iterate on the winning design.
- Design a new dashboard experience. Create a beautiful, functional dashboard to help customers get the most out of their membership.
- Refresh the design of our private community forum. Create an experience that works seamlessly with the new dashboard.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for someone with the following skills:
- Experience with low-fidelity design tools (wireframes, storyboards, etc.)
- Highly proficient in Adobe CC or other comparable visual design tool
- Experienced in user-centered design practices
- Strong knowledge of design trends and up-to-date best practices
- Very strong written communication skills
- Very strong verbal communication and presentation skills
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Experience designing web experiences for mobile
- Understanding of Google Analytics
- At least 3-5 years experience
Additionally, you should have an up-to-date portfolio that demonstrates experience in visual design, typography, and UX design.
You should also have the following competencies:
- Problem solving and decision making
- Customer orientation
- High standards of excellence
This is a remote position, and is open to both local and non-local candidates. We are located in Portland, Oregon.
How to apply
If you are interested in working with us, please submit your application here.
Benefits We Offer
A commitment to our team is one of our key foundations. We offer these benefits to our full time co-workers (many are also available to part time co-workers).
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Quarterly gain-sharing bonus program
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
Sign up for Hiring Alerts
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
Sign up for future listings and be the first to know.