This scented oil will turn an ordinary shower into a sumptuous, spa-like experience. Let aromatic clouds of steam surround you on days when you need a little extra luxury or care.
You can use almost any essential oil or blend. Choose something with a big, delicious scent that appeals to you. You can choose a single beloved note, like jasmine, or create your own complex scent. There are a million recipes online for essential oil blends, and I’ve included some ideas below, too. Lots of places also sell pre-mixed blends that take the guesswork out, if you don’t get excited by playing perfumer.
I don’t believe aromatherapy can do everything people claim it can, but I do believe that surrounding yourself with your favorite scents can do wonders for your mood, sleep patterns, and energy levels. If you’re having a bad day, or just feel out of sorts, try this shower as a reset ritual that will help you restart the day (no matter what time it).
Note: if you’re using irritating essential oils like cinnamon, limit the amount to only a few drops per bottle. Even though the oil won’t be touching your skin, you probably don’t want clouds of cinnamon steam touching your eyes or other sensitive parts.
- A small dark-colored dropper bottle
- About 1/4 cup carrier oil (it should fill 3/4 of the bottle). Any unscented or low-scent liquid oil will work. You can even use grape seed or sunflower oil meant for cooking.
- Enough essential oil to fill 1/4 of your bottle
- A small dish
- 1/8 cup dry rice or baking soda
- Clean and dry your dropper bottle thoroughly.
- Fill the dropper bottle 3/4 full of your carrier oil.
- Fill the remaining 1/4 with your essential oil blend. Cap the bottle and shake to combine.
- When you’re ready for a special spa-like shower, put the rice or baking soda in your small dish. Squirt a full dropper of oil onto the dish. Place the dish on your shower floor, where the water can splash it, but not flood it. Enjoy a hot shower while the oil disperses in clouds of aromatic steam.