Prepare to Sew
The Mercer coveralls are a modern classic for your wardrobe that will teach you fundamental sewing skills. This pattern offers a sleek fit throughout, with a straight-cut leg, waist darts, full-length sleeves featuring cuffs and plackets, and a convertible collar.
Mercer has a centered coil zipper and flat front waistband with an elastic back for easy on-and-off. It’s also full of pockets with patch pockets at the chest and back and angled pockets at the sides. With this pattern, you can create a versatile, effortlessly chic garment that gives you the confidence to express your unique style and show off some new sewing skills.
Fabric and Fit
Fabric recommendations: Look for medium-weight woven fabrics such as cotton twill, linen, linen blends, denim, canvas, and corduroy.
Avoid lightweight fabrics as they can’t support all the details. Also, avoid heavyweight fabrics, or the garment will wear really heavy on your body.
Mercer Flight Suit Sewalong
Here’s what you’ll need for this project:
- Mercer pattern
- All-purpose polyester sewing thread
- Sewing machine needle
- 1 yard (.8 meters) of lightweight fusible interfacing
- One zipper; 20” (51 cm) for misses sizes 00 - 8; 22” (56 cm) for misses sizes 10 - 18; 22” (56 cm) for curvy sizes 12 - 20; 26” (61 cm) for curvy sizes 22 - 30
- Two 5/8” (16 mm) buttons
- 7/8 yards (.7 meters) of 1 1/2” (3.8 cm) elastic
- (Optional) topstitching thread
- (Optional) topstitching needle
- (Optional) safety pin or bodkin (Sienna recommends TWO bodkins for this pattern
- (Optional) Wash-Away-Wonder Tape
Here are some additional resources to help you make the most of this sewalong: