Who We Are
We're Seamwork, and our purpose is to spread creativity. We create resources that help people to sew their own clothing at home, including online classes, patterns, learning tools, and a vibrant community of over 20,000 members. We believe that the creativity that sewing brings to everyday life is a powerful force; it helps people relate positively to themselves, their bodies, and to the culture at large.
We are a passionate, energetic small team that values growth, compassion, and creative practice. Learn more on our careers page.
We are seeking a pattern maker who is passionate about great fit and dedicated to delivering an exceptional product and experience to the sewing community.
- Draft and grade high quality sewing patterns that accurately reflect the designer’s vision.
- Schedule and lead prototype fit sessions, maintain fit in accordance with our standard fit blocks, keep accurate notes and up to date tech packs.
- Translate pattern and design into photo sample patterns for a variety of models.
- Create and maintain accurate and clear digital pattern files.
- Support customers by helping answer their fit and pattern questions in our exclusive community and through email.
In the first six months of this position, your mission will be to:
- Draft, fit, grade, and publish six new unique sewing patterns.
- Be a leader in solving fit mysteries by using and developing your skills through research and experimentation.
- Forge a connection with members and ambassadors, supporting them on their sewing journey with your technical skill and advice.
Who We're looking for
We are looking for someone with the following skills and qualifications:
- 5+ years professional pattern making experience in a post-education setting
- 3+ years professional experience with pattern making software (Optitex preferred)
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator
- Fashion/apparel degree or certificate preferred
In addition, we are looking for someone with the following skills:
- Precision: you pay close attention to detail, create and follow processes meticulously, and balance quality of work with efficiency.
- Analysis: You identify problems and find opportunities, you can work through issues and questions by analyzing the various components and testing out theories.
- Organization/planning: You plan, organize, schedule, and budget in an efficient manner while keeping focus on key priorities.
- Adaptability: You cope effectively with complexity and change in a fast paced environment.
- Vision: you have the ability to see the big picture, you collaborate across teams and contribute ideas that will drive the company forward and aid us in serving the whole sewing community.
This is a mostly work from home position with weekly in-person meetings at our office in inner NE Portland, Oregon. Our studio is located in a beautiful century-old renovated factory building with plenty of natural light, space, and a central location with many options for food, drinks, and coffee.
How to apply
If you are interested in working with us, please fill out this application form to get started.
Benefits We Offer
A commitment to our team is one of our key foundations. We offer these benefits to our full time co-workers (many are also available to part time co-workers).
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Quarterly gain-sharing bonus program
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
Sign up for Hiring Alerts
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
Sign up for future listings and be the first to know.