Operations Manager (Integrator)
We’re seeking an experienced Operations Manager to help lead our company. Working as a counterpart to our CEO / Visionary, you will take ownership of the people and processes that will allow our company to continue to grow and serve more people.
This position is open to both local (Portland, Oregon) and remote candidates within the US.
Who We Are
We're Seamwork, and our purpose is to spread creativity. We create resources that help people to sew their own clothing at home, including online classes, patterns, learning tools, and a vibrant community of over 20,000 members. We believe that the creativity that sewing brings to everyday life is a powerful force; it helps people relate positively to themselves, their bodies, and to the culture at large.
We are a passionate, energetic small team that values growth, compassion, and creative practice. Learn more on our careers page.
In this role, you’ll have ownership over the internal processes that make our company run. You’ll be responsible for executing the company vision and coaching team members to be their best. If you love building up new systems, making things happen, and helping other people thrive – this might be the role for you.
- Translate vision into a functional plan that the company can carry out. Divide big projects into smaller, conquerable chunks. Divide annual goals into quarterly goals.
- Achieve or exceed our annual profit and critical number objectives.
- Take ownership of the hiring process, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding new team members.
- Integrate all the teams within the business, so we’re all working towards the same thing. Always puts the company first. Help others do the same.
- Make clear, rational decisions when they are needed. Push decision making down when you can.
- Resolve issues effectively. Encourage healthy debate, bring up problems, and solve them.
- Keep the leadership team cohesive and healthy, functioning together.
- Build systems from the ground up when needed. Make sure they are clear and simple, never adding more overhead than necessary. Make sure everyone is following the systems and core processes.
- Make sure all key messages are effectively cascaded through the organization. Make sure everyone knows what’s going on. Lead effective meetings to create meaningful action and resolve issues.
In the first six months of this position, your mission will be to:
- Take ownership of communication within the company, leading regular team meetings, keeping everyone up to date and connected, and making sure that our core values are present everywhere.
- Work directly with the CEO to translate the company vision into a workable plan for the next year.
- Build up a new Education function within the organization, creating and optimizing processes and establishing the new team.
- Organize a quarterly Service Day for the entire organization to offer paid time to employees to volunteer together. Create other ways of keeping employees connected and relationships strong.
Who We're looking for
We are looking for someone with the following skills and qualification:
- Strong leadership skills. You identify as a leader and have the confidence and assertiveness to hold others accountable while also supporting and encouraging them.
- Excellent coaching and mentorship skills.
- Strong conflict management skills. Can encourage debate and discussion in a healthy, productive way and teach that skill to others.
- Strong relationship building skills. You like interacting with people and you are good at it.
- Strong systems building and project management skills. You are obsessed with creating efficient processes. Excels at planning and organizing.
- Loves simplicity and clarity. Creates processes that are no more complicated than needed. Can simplify messages and make them easy to understand.
- Skilled at prioritization
- Highly detail oriented. You don’t allow things to fall through the cracks. You don’t need to be told more than once. You get things done.
- Very strong communication skills. You make things easy to understand. You explain the “why”. You solicit input. You are persuasive and able to get everyone on the same page.
- Minimum 3 years in an operations role
- Minimum 3 years in a management role
- Experience with EOS (Traction)
In addition, we are looking for someone who has these core competencies:
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: You are able to identify problems, solve them, act decisively, and show good judgment. You involve others as appropriate and gather information from a variety of sources.
- Organization & Planning: You have strong organization and planning skills that allow you to be highly productive and efficient. You manage time wisely and effectively prioritize. You plan, organize, and actively manage meetings for maximum productivity.
- Drive/Energy: You have a high level of energy and the motivation to sustain it over time. You are ambitious and passionate about your role. You show enthusiasm to those around you.
- Results orientation: You maintain an appropriate focus on outcomes and accomplishments and not just process. You are motivated by achievement and reaching a goal. You like closure.
- Communications: You understand how best to circulate information in different contexts. You are skilled at active listening. You can communicate both formally and informally, whether written, verbal, or visually.
We are open to both local (Portland, Oregon) and remote candidates within the US. This is a mostly work from home position with occasional in-person meetings. For remote candidates, some travel may be required.
How to apply
If you are interested in working with us, please fill out this application form to get started.
Benefits We Offer
A commitment to our team is one of our key foundations. We offer these benefits to our full time co-workers (many are also available to part time co-workers).
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Short-term disability insurance
- Quarterly gain-sharing bonus program
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
Sign up for Hiring Alerts
Don’t see what you’re looking for?
Sign up for future listings and be the first to know.